Sremski Karlovci, is one of those towns in Serbia that have preserved its authenticity, with a true paradise for lovers of poetry, culture, history, good wine and all those who love to travel. Sitting snug against the Danube, Sremski Karlovci (Сремски Карловци) has a huge history that belies its cosy size. Originally home to an ancient Roman fortress, the village peaked as a major cultural and spiritual centre during the 18th century, a legacy still visible in beautiful baroque edifices, including the St Nicholas Orthodox cathedral (1758–62), the working Karlovci Orthodox Theological Seminary (Founded by Metropolitan Stefan Stratimirović back in 1794) – the second of its kind in the world – and the magnificent Four Lions fountain. local rumour has it that if one drinks from the fountain, they’ll surely return to Karlovci to be married..
The round yellow Chapel of Peace at the southern end of town is where the Turks and Austrians signed the 1699 Peace Treaty. In this town situated by the Danube, on the slopes of Mount Fruška Gora, the first Serbian theater play was performed in 1734, and the first Serbian Grammar School was established in 1791. Sremski Karlovci is also famous for its local wines, since, for many centuries people from this area have been abundantly growing vines and producing theri famous Sremski Karlovci wines. Sremski Karlovci is also the town that is considered the gateway to Fruška Gora National Park. It is interesting that, while the pastry shops and bakeries are selling the famous “kuglof” cake for which the people of this town claim they know how to make it in more than 400 ways.